Tuesday, April 6, 2010

EAL Term 3 Week 1


Hello To All Parents,

It's good to be back. I can't believe it's already April. As you are aware I have been absent from St. Dominics for the last two months due to health reasons. I am now thankfully fully restored to health and looking forward to working with your children again. Erica and two substitute EAL teachers have been bravely "holding the fort" dring these two months and I would like to express my heartfelt thanks to them.

We will be starting this term by meeting with the classroom teachers and discussing the individual needs of the children. I believe it's essential that there is continual dialogue between us and the classroom teachers. In this way, we are able to plan the EAL sessions to best benefit the children and ensure that they are increasingly more able to access the class curriculum.

For this reason we will spend the first two or three days meeting with the teachers; discussing the children's needs and planning. We will also be checking that timetabling still works for all and there may be some adjusting of groups.

The EAL timetable will start a hundred percent from next Monday 12 April. Please do read the blog each week particularly noting how you can help at home to support your child with language acquisition. It's important for us all to remember that learning a new language should be fun, enriching and build self esteem.

So back I go to my "drawing board" to think about these first three days. Please also remember to feel free to book an appointment with me through Thea, should you at any time wish to discuss your child's progress in learning English. I would be happy to meet with you.

Spring is almost here full time and summer is around the corner. Wishing everyone a happy, successful term three.